29–30 May 2013 | Tallinn, Estonia
The third Policy Forum on Climate Change Adaptation in the Baltic Sea Region took place 29 – 30 May 2013 in Tallinn. It brought together participants from all Baltic Sea Region countries. The event was organised by the Council of the Baltic Sea States, CBSS, in close cooperation with the Estonian Ministry of Environment.
Impressions from the event
At the third Policy Forum interactive working sessions focused on:
- Introduction and discussions on the final draft of the BSR Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and first draft of the accompanying Action Plan;
- Discussions on the coherence between the BSR Climate Adaptation Strategy and the EU respective strategy
- Financing adaptation measures
- Climate change adaptation and civil protection; follow-up workshop with EUSBSR PA Secure
- EU SBSR and the North-West Russia Development Strategy – mainstreaming climate change Participants of this Policy Forum will be high level policy makers and representatives from relevant national ministries, the European Commission, international and regional organizations and academic institutions in the field of climate change and adaptation from across the Baltic Sea Region.
Participants of the Forum were invited to give input to:
- The draft proposal for a climate change adaptation strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and it accompanying Action Plan.
- Concrete actions on how to ensure the implementation of the BSR Climate Change Adaptation Strategy by linking the EU-, and national/ sub-regional adaptation strategies and real actions.´
The meeting will suggest a follow-up process on how to further develop and negotiate the proposal on a climate change adaptation strategy for the BSR until it is ready for adoption by member states.
- Agenda of the 3rd Policy Forum [pdf, 889.32 KB]
- Policy Forum concept [pdf, 1.01 MB]
- Press Release on Third Policy Forum [pdf, 821.08 KB]
- Draft version of the Strategy document provided for discussion at the 3rd Policy Forum (29-30 May 2013) [pdf, 2.11 MB]
- Presentation by Humberto Delgado Rosa (EC DG Clima) [pdf, 612.33 KB]
- Presentation of teh Draft Baltic Sea Region Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan by Lotta Andersson (SMHI) and Susanne Altvater (BMU/Ecologic) [pdf, 1.11 MB]
- Introduction to the CLIMATE-Adapt platform by Stéphane Isoard (European Environment Agency) [pdf, 1.38 MB]
- Outlook on the Baltic Sea Region sub-section of CLIMATE-Adapt by Sebastian Ebert (UBA) [pdf, 1.07 MB]
- Introduction to the session "Financing adaptation measures" by Susanne Altvater (BMU/Ecologic) [pdf, 714.81 KB]
- Presentation by Iris Harder (JASPERS) [pdf, 245.35 KB]
- Presentation of the Central Baltic Programme 2014–2020 by Merike Niitepõld (Central Baltic Programme) [pdf, 467.5 KB]
- Integrating climate change adaptation into civil protection (Emilia Wahlström, UNEP/OCHA) [pdf, 1.63 MB]
- Presentation on Spatial Planning and Climate Change Adaptation by Talis Linkaits (VASAB Secretariat) [pdf, 1.19 MB]